Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Tubes-Valves Pots-Knobs Chassis-Boxes
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tube Sockets Transformers
Tubes-Valves Switches Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Foot Pedals
Circuit Board Building parts Tubes-Valves Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tube Sockets
Tools and Batteries Capacitors Transformers Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Capacitors Pots-Knobs Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Capacitors Pots-Knobs Pots-Knobs
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Switches Tube Sockets Tube Sockets
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Handles-Amp Trim Parts Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tubes-Valves
Reverb tanks and Bags Pots-Knobs Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Transformers
Circuit Board Building parts Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Chassis-Boxes Wire-Cable-Heat shrink
Foot Pedals Pots-Knobs Pots-Knobs Books
Pots-Knobs Pots-Knobs Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Bike Light Parts
Screws-Nuts-Washers Screws-Nuts-Washers Screws-Nuts-Washers Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching
Resistors Handles-Amp Trim Parts Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Handles-Amp Trim Parts
Resistors Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Tube Sockets Capacitors
Handles-Amp Trim Parts Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Bike Light Parts Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching
Tube Sockets Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Tubes-Valves Circuit Board Building parts
Tools and Batteries Resistors Circuit Board Building parts Capacitors
Switches Transformers Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Tools and Batteries Circuit Board Building parts Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Transformers
Foot Pedals Tubes-Valves Screws-Nuts-Washers Tube Sockets
Screws-Nuts-Washers Switches Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Wire-Cable-Heat shrink
Handles-Amp Trim Parts Resistors Tube Sockets Pots-Knobs
Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Guitar Strings Pots-Knobs Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Transformers Tube Sockets Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Tools and Batteries Switches Pots-Knobs Switches
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tools and Batteries
Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals
You can scroll through the images above using the Image scroll controls or you can use the Left and Right arrow keys on your keyboard.
Hello guest

Welcome To the Hoffman Amplifiers Forum

July 24, 2014, 03:04:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:20 am »
Hi,

I plan to build a small 2 X 10 speaker cab and I'd like to know the optimum dimensions that it should have.
I am a rock/blues player ( not the Fender tone but more the Gibson style bluesy tone ). I would go with 25w speakers ( weber ? ) open back , closed back ? Any suggestions ?

Regards

Colas
Don't miss the Woodstock experience : ''FORTY YEARS AFTER'' at Club Soda,  in Montreal, august the 17th and 18th and october the 27th. Fifteen musicians onstage.  AWESOME !
P.S.: call me Alvin.

Offline FYL

• Level 4
Re: 2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:19 am »
I've got a tweed cab with a pair of Weber 10A125s (20-watt version) in 560 x 450 x 240 mm open back, 18 mm pine plus a 12 mm Baltic birch plywood baffle. Works very nicely for blues/rock with a late-50s style amp and P90s or humbuckers but YMMV.

Offline Boots Deville

• SMG
  • Level 2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:42 am »
Here are some plans that are pretty close to FYL's dimensions, about 1.5" wider.
http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/AS210A_Plans.pdf

I've built a cab from their 1x12" plans, but never this particular 2x10".

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 03:05:20 pm »
FYL,

I'm not sure if I get you right, you'd sell your cab or you only wanted to give me the dimensions ?

Thanks

Colas
Don't miss the Woodstock experience : ''FORTY YEARS AFTER'' at Club Soda,  in Montreal, august the 17th and 18th and october the 27th. Fifteen musicians onstage.  AWESOME !

Offline Frankenamp

• Level 3
  • What does this button do?
This problem calls for a bigger hammer!

Offline FYL

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:15:13 am »
I'm not sure if I get you right, you'd sell your cab or you only wanted to give me the dimensions ?

Dimensions.

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:23 am »
Thank you sir

Regards

Colas

Offline jjasilli

• Level 4
  • Took the power supply test. . . got a B+
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:05:24 pm »
For amps, Fender generally used combos with open backs.  Marshall used closed back speaker cabs.  Fender/Gibson guitars guitars sound great through either set-up.

Open back cabs are not design critical.  You can make the cab any size & shape -- as to height, width and depth -- that fits your convenience (and is stable and won't fall over!).  Closed back cabs are sensitive to size and shape, including internal volume.  This called Thiele parameters.  Ideally this should be matched to the published specs of the speakers to be used.  Info is available online; Eminence speakers I think has info on its web site.  Or plagiarize from an enclosed 2 x 10 design that you like.

Offline Frankenamp

• Level 3
  • What does this button do?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:55 am »
For amps, Fender generally used combos with open backs.  Marshall used closed back speaker cabs.  Fender/Gibson guitars guitars sound great through either set-up.

Open back cabs are not design critical.  You can make the cab any size & shape -- as to height, width and depth -- that fits your convenience (and is stable and won't fall over!).  Closed back cabs are sensitive to size and shape, including internal volume.  This called Thiele parameters.  Ideally this should be matched to the published specs of the speakers to be used.  Info is available online; Eminence speakers I think has info on its web site.  Or plagiarize from an enclosed 2 x 10 design that you like.

Agreed. Most vintage utility tens and twelves were designed (mostly trial and error) to work more or less in a two cubic foot box. They didn't have T/S parameters. Speaker design and measurement were in their infancy. Nowadays, If I was to look for a speaker to work well in an open back box, I would look for a speaker with a Qts of .7 to 1.0 give or take. This will allow the response to roll off smoothly around the resonant frequency (Fo). A lower Qts will sound thin and anemic as the bass rolls off quicker. A Qts above 1 will start to sound boomy and unnatural. These are some rules of thumb that work most of the time. YMMV. A woofer tester and some box modeling software are necesesary for accurate results. Golden triangle dimensions are also usually ignored by guitar box designers. Have Fun!
This problem calls for a bigger hammer!

This is the Hoffman amplifiers tube amp parts catalog, please choose a link below.
Amp trim/Handles Bike Lighting parts Board Building Parts Guitar Strings/Books
Capacitors Chassis/Boxes Foot Pedals Fuses/Cords/AC
Jacks/Plugs/connectors Pots/Knobs Lamps/Diodes/Channel Switching Misc. Hardware
Resistors Reverb Items Screws/Nuts/Washers Switches
Tools-Batteries Transformers Tubes/Valves Tube Sockets
Wire/Cable Public Parts list Page Search the Hoffman Amps parts catalog Non Stocked Parts
The Tube amp Library of information
Click the link above for Tube amp info, Schematics, Board building information, Projects, Mods, Transformer diagrams, Photos, Sound clips.
There are hundreds of pages of Tube amp information on my library page.
Check out our huge library of schematics here

Create your own custom Turret lug board

Click here to search EL34 World