Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tools and Batteries Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Reverb tanks and Bags
Tools and Batteries Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Capacitors Switches
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Pots-Knobs Pots-Knobs Wire-Cable-Heat shrink
Circuit Board Building parts Circuit Board Building parts Pots-Knobs Circuit Board Building parts
Transformers Transformers Tube Sockets Resistors
Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Bike Light Parts Resistors Tubes-Valves
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Pots-Knobs
Handles-Amp Trim Parts Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Pots-Knobs Circuit Board Building parts
Switches Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Screws-Nuts-Washers
Tubes-Valves Tube Sockets Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Screws-Nuts-Washers
Tube Sockets Foot Pedals Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Tubes-Valves Foot Pedals Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Tube Sockets Pots-Knobs Guitar Strings
Tube Sockets Pots-Knobs Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Resistors
Tools and Batteries Switches Tube Sockets Pots-Knobs
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Chassis-Boxes Capacitors Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Handles-Amp Trim Parts Pots-Knobs Bike Light Parts Books
Tubes-Valves Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Tube Sockets Tools and Batteries
Circuit Board Building parts Handles-Amp Trim Parts Pots-Knobs Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Transformers Capacitors Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Foot Pedals
Switches Capacitors Transformers Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Switches Chassis-Boxes Pots-Knobs Tubes-Valves
Handles-Amp Trim Parts Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Tube Sockets Screws-Nuts-Washers
Capacitors Switches Resistors Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Tubes-Valves Tools and Batteries Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Handles-Amp Trim Parts
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tube Sockets Transformers Transformers
Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Screws-Nuts-Washers Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Pots-Knobs
Screws-Nuts-Washers
You can scroll through the images above using the Image scroll controls or you can use the Left and Right arrow keys on your keyboard.
Hello guest

Welcome To the Hoffman Amplifiers Forum

July 30, 2014, 10:20:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:20 am »
Hi,

I plan to build a small 2 X 10 speaker cab and I'd like to know the optimum dimensions that it should have.
I am a rock/blues player ( not the Fender tone but more the Gibson style bluesy tone ). I would go with 25w speakers ( weber ? ) open back , closed back ? Any suggestions ?

Regards

Colas
Don't miss the Woodstock experience : ''FORTY YEARS AFTER'' at Club Soda,  in Montreal, august the 17th and 18th and october the 27th. Fifteen musicians onstage.  AWESOME !
P.S.: call me Alvin.

Offline FYL

• Level 4
Re: 2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:19 am »
I've got a tweed cab with a pair of Weber 10A125s (20-watt version) in 560 x 450 x 240 mm open back, 18 mm pine plus a 12 mm Baltic birch plywood baffle. Works very nicely for blues/rock with a late-50s style amp and P90s or humbuckers but YMMV.

Offline Boots Deville

• SMG
  • Level 2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:42 am »
Here are some plans that are pretty close to FYL's dimensions, about 1.5" wider.
http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/AS210A_Plans.pdf

I've built a cab from their 1x12" plans, but never this particular 2x10".

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 03:05:20 pm »
FYL,

I'm not sure if I get you right, you'd sell your cab or you only wanted to give me the dimensions ?

Thanks

Colas
Don't miss the Woodstock experience : ''FORTY YEARS AFTER'' at Club Soda,  in Montreal, august the 17th and 18th and october the 27th. Fifteen musicians onstage.  AWESOME !

Offline Frankenamp

• Level 3
  • What does this button do?
This problem calls for a bigger hammer!

Offline FYL

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:15:13 am »
I'm not sure if I get you right, you'd sell your cab or you only wanted to give me the dimensions ?

Dimensions.

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:23 am »
Thank you sir

Regards

Colas

Offline jjasilli

• Level 4
  • Took the power supply test. . . got a B+
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:05:24 pm »
For amps, Fender generally used combos with open backs.  Marshall used closed back speaker cabs.  Fender/Gibson guitars guitars sound great through either set-up.

Open back cabs are not design critical.  You can make the cab any size & shape -- as to height, width and depth -- that fits your convenience (and is stable and won't fall over!).  Closed back cabs are sensitive to size and shape, including internal volume.  This called Thiele parameters.  Ideally this should be matched to the published specs of the speakers to be used.  Info is available online; Eminence speakers I think has info on its web site.  Or plagiarize from an enclosed 2 x 10 design that you like.

Offline Frankenamp

• Level 3
  • What does this button do?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:55 am »
For amps, Fender generally used combos with open backs.  Marshall used closed back speaker cabs.  Fender/Gibson guitars guitars sound great through either set-up.

Open back cabs are not design critical.  You can make the cab any size & shape -- as to height, width and depth -- that fits your convenience (and is stable and won't fall over!).  Closed back cabs are sensitive to size and shape, including internal volume.  This called Thiele parameters.  Ideally this should be matched to the published specs of the speakers to be used.  Info is available online; Eminence speakers I think has info on its web site.  Or plagiarize from an enclosed 2 x 10 design that you like.

Agreed. Most vintage utility tens and twelves were designed (mostly trial and error) to work more or less in a two cubic foot box. They didn't have T/S parameters. Speaker design and measurement were in their infancy. Nowadays, If I was to look for a speaker to work well in an open back box, I would look for a speaker with a Qts of .7 to 1.0 give or take. This will allow the response to roll off smoothly around the resonant frequency (Fo). A lower Qts will sound thin and anemic as the bass rolls off quicker. A Qts above 1 will start to sound boomy and unnatural. These are some rules of thumb that work most of the time. YMMV. A woofer tester and some box modeling software are necesesary for accurate results. Golden triangle dimensions are also usually ignored by guitar box designers. Have Fun!
This problem calls for a bigger hammer!

This is the Hoffman amplifiers tube amp parts catalog, please choose a link below.
Amp trim/Handles Bike Lighting parts Board Building Parts Guitar Strings/Books
Capacitors Chassis/Boxes Foot Pedals Fuses/Cords/AC
Jacks/Plugs/connectors Pots/Knobs Lamps/Diodes/Channel Switching Misc. Hardware
Resistors Reverb Items Screws/Nuts/Washers Switches
Tools-Batteries Transformers Tubes/Valves Tube Sockets
Wire/Cable Public Parts list Page Search the Hoffman Amps parts catalog Non Stocked Parts
The Tube amp Library of information
Click the link above for Tube amp info, Schematics, Board building information, Projects, Mods, Transformer diagrams, Photos, Sound clips.
There are hundreds of pages of Tube amp information on my library page.
Check out our huge library of schematics here

Create your own custom Turret lug board

Click here to search EL34 World