Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Handles-Amp Trim Parts Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Foot Pedals
Switches Pots-Knobs Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Pots-Knobs
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Tube Sockets Tube Sockets Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Pots-Knobs Tube Sockets Handles-Amp Trim Parts
Guitar Strings Capacitors Pots-Knobs Wire-Cable-Heat shrink
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Pots-Knobs Switches Switches
Bike Light Parts Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Bike Light Parts Tubes-Valves
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Screws-Nuts-Washers
Tubes-Valves Resistors Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Capacitors
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Switches Foot Pedals
Resistors Circuit Board Building parts Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Handles-Amp Trim Parts
Tools and Batteries Handles-Amp Trim Parts Screws-Nuts-Washers Pots-Knobs
Transformers Handles-Amp Trim Parts Capacitors Hoffman Turret Boards
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Hoffman Turret Boards Tubes-Valves Transformers
Hoffman Turret Boards Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Switches Screws-Nuts-Washers
Screws-Nuts-Washers Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Tubes-Valves
Tools and Batteries Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Pots-Knobs Wire-Cable-Heat shrink
Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching Capacitors Capacitors Tube Sockets
Resistors Capacitors Tubes-Valves Lamps-Diodes-Channel Switching
Pots-Knobs Capacitors Reverb tanks and Bags Tube Sockets
Hoffman Turret Boards Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Pots-Knobs Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals
Tube Sockets Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Pots-Knobs Tube Sockets
Transformers Chassis-Boxes Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Pots-Knobs Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Foot Pedals Tubes-Valves
Chassis-Boxes Tools and Batteries Capacitors Tube Sockets
Pots-Knobs Circuit Board Building parts Transformers Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Circuit Board Building parts Tools and Batteries
Circuit Board Building parts Wire-Cable-Heat shrink Books Jacks-Plugs-Connectors
Tube Sockets Resistors Switches Capacitors
Handles-Amp Trim Parts Transformers Transformers Screws-Nuts-Washers
Jacks-Plugs-Connectors Misc Hardware-Grommets-Feet-Ring terminals Pots-Knobs Capacitors
Fuse Holders-Cords-AC Items Tools and Batteries Tube Sockets Hoffman Turret Boards
You can scroll through the images above using the Image scroll controls or you can use the Left and Right arrow keys on your keyboard.
Hello guest

Welcome To the Hoffman Amplifiers Forum

November 22, 2014, 10:17:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:49:20 am »
Hi,

I plan to build a small 2 X 10 speaker cab and I'd like to know the optimum dimensions that it should have.
I am a rock/blues player ( not the Fender tone but more the Gibson style bluesy tone ). I would go with 25w speakers ( weber ? ) open back , closed back ? Any suggestions ?

Regards

Colas
Don't miss the Woodstock experience : ''FORTY YEARS AFTER'' at Club Soda,  in Montreal, august the 17th and 18th and october the 27th. Fifteen musicians onstage.  AWESOME !
P.S.: call me Alvin.

Offline FYL

• Level 4
Re: 2 X 10'' speaker cab ideal dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:57:19 am »
I've got a tweed cab with a pair of Weber 10A125s (20-watt version) in 560 x 450 x 240 mm open back, 18 mm pine plus a 12 mm Baltic birch plywood baffle. Works very nicely for blues/rock with a late-50s style amp and P90s or humbuckers but YMMV.

Offline Boots Deville

• SMG
  • Level 2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:42 am »
Here are some plans that are pretty close to FYL's dimensions, about 1.5" wider.
http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/AS210A_Plans.pdf

I've built a cab from their 1x12" plans, but never this particular 2x10".

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:05:20 pm »
FYL,

I'm not sure if I get you right, you'd sell your cab or you only wanted to give me the dimensions ?

Thanks

Colas
Don't miss the Woodstock experience : ''FORTY YEARS AFTER'' at Club Soda,  in Montreal, august the 17th and 18th and october the 27th. Fifteen musicians onstage.  AWESOME !

Offline Frankenamp

• Level 3
  • What does this button do?
This problem calls for a bigger hammer!

Offline FYL

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:15:13 am »
I'm not sure if I get you right, you'd sell your cab or you only wanted to give me the dimensions ?

Dimensions.

Offline Colas LeGrippa

• Level 3
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:44:23 am »
Thank you sir

Regards

Colas

Offline jjasilli

• Level 4
  • Took the power supply test. . . got a B+
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:05:24 pm »
For amps, Fender generally used combos with open backs.  Marshall used closed back speaker cabs.  Fender/Gibson guitars guitars sound great through either set-up.

Open back cabs are not design critical.  You can make the cab any size & shape -- as to height, width and depth -- that fits your convenience (and is stable and won't fall over!).  Closed back cabs are sensitive to size and shape, including internal volume.  This called Thiele parameters.  Ideally this should be matched to the published specs of the speakers to be used.  Info is available online; Eminence speakers I think has info on its web site.  Or plagiarize from an enclosed 2 x 10 design that you like.

Offline Frankenamp

• Level 3
  • What does this button do?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:46:55 am »
For amps, Fender generally used combos with open backs.  Marshall used closed back speaker cabs.  Fender/Gibson guitars guitars sound great through either set-up.

Open back cabs are not design critical.  You can make the cab any size & shape -- as to height, width and depth -- that fits your convenience (and is stable and won't fall over!).  Closed back cabs are sensitive to size and shape, including internal volume.  This called Thiele parameters.  Ideally this should be matched to the published specs of the speakers to be used.  Info is available online; Eminence speakers I think has info on its web site.  Or plagiarize from an enclosed 2 x 10 design that you like.

Agreed. Most vintage utility tens and twelves were designed (mostly trial and error) to work more or less in a two cubic foot box. They didn't have T/S parameters. Speaker design and measurement were in their infancy. Nowadays, If I was to look for a speaker to work well in an open back box, I would look for a speaker with a Qts of .7 to 1.0 give or take. This will allow the response to roll off smoothly around the resonant frequency (Fo). A lower Qts will sound thin and anemic as the bass rolls off quicker. A Qts above 1 will start to sound boomy and unnatural. These are some rules of thumb that work most of the time. YMMV. A woofer tester and some box modeling software are necesesary for accurate results. Golden triangle dimensions are also usually ignored by guitar box designers. Have Fun!
This problem calls for a bigger hammer!

Choose a link from the Hoffman Amplifiers parts catalog
Resistors Board Building Parts Amp trim/Handles Misc. Hardware
Capacitors Hoffman Turret Boards Foot Pedals Screws/Nuts/Washers
Pots/Knobs Hoffman Eyelet Boards Reverb Items Tools/Batteries
Switches Jacks/Plugs/Connectors Guitar Strings/Books Bike Lighting Parts
Tube Sockets Fuses/Cords/AC Chassis/Boxes Lamps/Diodes/Channel Switching
Tubes/Valves Transformers Wire/Cable What's New

Handy Links
Tube Amp Library of information
Tube Amp Schematics library
Design your own custom Turret Board