Welcome To the Hoffman Amplifiers Forum

October 01, 2026, 04:22:59 pm
guest image
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
-User Name
-Password



Hoffman Amps Forum image Author Topic: GA5 Build Question - 6.3V to 5.0V Dropping Circuit  (Read 419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ALK2MT

  • Level 1
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • I love Tube amps
Hoffman Amps Forum image
GA5 Build Question - 6.3V to 5.0V Dropping Circuit
« on: September 28, 2026, 09:37:58 pm »
Hi there. I’m working through the last few circuit checks before putting tubes in a GA5 scratch build and have a question/observation. In the circuit I am using a 5Y3 tube in V3 and an Antek AS-05T320 toroidal power transformer with 2 separate 6.3VAC supplies. I built a voltage dropping resistor circuit that is connected in series on the blue/green secondary 6.3V supply to drop 1.3V and safely provide 5.0 V to V3-2,8.

I used two 0.34 Ohm 10 Watt wirewound resistors, wired in series for a total of 0.68 Ohms. My tests show it is performing at spec 0.68Ohms. The voltage however is showing 6.7V at V3-2,8. So there has not been a voltage drop through the resistors.

Ideas? Thoughts? Coaching?

Thank you.

Offline roarshock

  • Level 1
  • *
  • Posts: 45
  • I love Tube amps
Hoffman Amps Forum image
Re: GA5 Build Question - 6.3V to 5.0V Dropping Circuit
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2026, 09:57:25 pm »
I'm no wizard, but if the resistors aren't dropping I gotta ask, were the tubes in the circuit? There won't be voltage drop if there's nothing drawing.

Offline Kaptinkangaru

  • Level 1
  • *
  • Posts: 18
  • I love Tube amps
Hoffman Amps Forum image
Re: GA5 Build Question - 6.3V to 5.0V Dropping Circuit
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2026, 10:16:48 pm »
Are you testing under load?

Offline ALK2MT

  • Level 1
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • I love Tube amps
Hoffman Amps Forum image
Re: GA5 Build Question - 6.3V to 5.0V Dropping Circuit
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2026, 10:19:48 pm »
Tube in, 5.01Volts. Works great!

 


Choose a link from the
Hoffman Amplifiers parts catalog
Mobile Device
Catalog Link
Yard Sale
Discontinued
Misc. Hardware
What's New Board Building
 Parts
Amp trim
Handles
Lamps
Diodes
Hoffman Turret
 Boards
Channel
Switching
Resistors Fender Eyelet
 Boards
Screws/Nuts
Washers
Jacks/Plugs
Connectors
Misc Eyelet
Boards
Tools
Capacitors Custom Boards
Tubes
Valves
Pots
Knobs
Fuses/Cords Chassis
Tube
Sockets
Switches Wire
Cable


Handy Links
Tube Amp Library
Tube Amp
Schematics library
Design a custom Eyelet or
Turret Board
DIY Layout Creator
File analyzer program
DIY Layout Creator
File library
Transformer Wiring
Diagrams
Hoffmanamps
Facebook page
Hoffman Amplifiers
Discount Program


password